Discovering the heart and mind of the online India - 2010
Internet usage is synonymous with Google (though this is changing with advent of facebook and twitter) and this gives them the pulse of online netizens. Google has come out with 2010 Zeitgeist and it helps gaze into the minds of online Indians. So, let’s delve into it:
- Technology: The First love of online folks, this infested in fastest rising queries on Mobile phone brands (micromax, samsung, nokia, sony ericsson). Micromax a relatively late entrant has captured curiosity of the nation while Nokia still continues to rule the trust Indians have on the mobile phone brand.
- Apart from email (yahoo and gmail rule!) and social networking (courtesy facebook, twitter and orkut), Indians spent most time being musical - looking and downloading songs.
- IRCTC – the epic ecommerce success has been there in top lists for so long that without this the zeitgeist would seem untrue ! The only other online service that continued to attract attention was Way2SMS (and by logical conclusion – maybe profitable!).
- Seeked after personalities continued being from Bollywood and this year netizens went for new faces (aruna shields, sonakshi sinha, zarine khan etc) eclipsing Katrina Kaif.
- In sports, cricket continued being the hot favourite with “cricket live scores”, “lalit modi” and “sachin tendulkar” cornering the most searches. Of course, this was the year of the FIFA World Cup and people did look that up too.
- In most popular how to – “get pregnant” topped ,probably indicating the arrival of women on the internet scene. Men closely followed with how to impress a girl queries. Self improvement was not behind with “improve spoken english”, reduce/increase weight and meditate being in the most popular how tos.